The following are suggested timeframes for you to follow to make your retirement process a smooth transition:
- Written notification to the Superintendent and your principal/supervisor of your intentions. Approximately 4-6 months in advance for a smooth process. *NOTHING GETS PROCESSED BY THE BOARD UNTIL YOU DO THIS OFFICALLY *
- You must file your retirement application online through the MBOS system.
- You must verify your date of birth and any beneficiaries you selected for your pension with the State. Fax one of the following with your membership # clearly written to 609-292-3624.
- Birth certificates (with visible seal).
- Digital valid NJ driver’s license
- Passport or passport card
- Payroll will automatically complete your final salary certification needed by the State online.
- Within a week you will receive an email from the payroll office acknowledging your retirement request.
- You will receive important links to Health Benefit Information & enrollment forms directly from the Division of Pensions if applicable. Please be sure to read everything thoroughly. Copies of the following documents will need to be provided if you are enrolling dependents in the SEHBP.
- Proof of Age for yourself and your beneficiary’s
- Marriage certificate if applicable
- The top page of your 1040 tax return
- Medicare A & B cards for yourself and your spouse if applicable.
- Contact Social Security---3 months in advance (if applicable) 1-800-772-1213
- Contact Medicare--- 3 months in advance (if applicable) 1-800-633-4227
IMPORTANT CONTACTS AFTER RETIREMENT
Division of Pensions
PO Box 295
Trenton, NJ 08625-0295
Horizon NJ Direct 10 under 65
Other Participating Plan contact information can be found on Fact Sheet #11
Aetna Medicare Advantage over 65
1-866-234-3129 or 1-866-816-3662
1-844-368-8740 Under 65
1-844-368-8765 Over 65
Dental Expense Plan (PPO Administered by Aetna)
Other Participating Plan contact information can be found on Fact Sheet #73
Social Security Admin
Office of Public Inquiries
Windsor Park Building
6401 Security Blvd
Baltimore, MD 21235