Human Resources » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What does Westfield pay substitutes?

Substitute custodian: $12.50 /hour

Substitute lunchaide: $14.50/hour

Substitute paraprofessional: $78.00 /day

Substitute secretary: $84.00/day

Substitute teacher: $90.00 /day with a Bachelor's degree

What is the process for becoming a SUBSTITUTE TEACHER?

Substitute Teacher applications are accepted from October through March each school year.

Substitute Nurse applications are accepted all year.

Visit the Office of Human Resources at 302 Elm Street to obtain the necessary forms. Office hours are 8 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Friday.

Criminal History clearance is required for all public school employment. You must follow the State requirement for live scan fingerprinting and criminal history review. Fingerprints submitted on cards obtained from a police department are unacceptable for public school employment.

Where is your office located?

Our office is located in the Westfield Public Schools administration building, 302 Elm Street. The building sits on the corner of Elm Street and Walnut, across the street from the Stop & Shop Supermarket. We have two parking lots for your use during your visit. Both lots are on Walnut Street. For your convenience we have an elevator which can be accessed from the parking lot closest to the building. Human Resources is on the second floor, room 207.

How do I apply for a professional CONTRACTED position?

For all CONTRACTED Teaching and Administrative positions, please apply online at:

I applied for a position but I have not been contacted.

Unfortunately, we cannot acknowledge receipt of resumes. However, applications and resumes received on Applitrack are available for review by our Administrative staff and Principals. You will be contacted directly by a principal or another administrator if more information is requested.

How do I apply for NJ Teacher Certification?

Check the website:

Navigate to "Certification"

Does Westfield hire Alternate Route teachers?

Yes we do, but not as elementary classroom teachers. To be eligible for a contract as an alternate route teacher you will need a "Certificate of Eligibility". For requirements, forms, etc., please visit the State of New Jersey website:

Does Alternate Route mean I don't need a certificate?

No. Contracts can only be issued to holders of NJ certification.You must meet all the requirements for a CE (Certificate of Eligibility) and apply for the certificate to be considered for employment. For the requirements, forms, etc., please visit the State of New Jersey website:

How do I apply for secretarial, paraprofessional or custodial positions?

Applications are available in Human Resources, 302 Elm Street, Westfield. Enclose a letter of interest and a copy of a resume, if applicable, with your application. Mail your completed application to:

Mrs. Barbara B. Ball
Human Resources Specialist
302 Elm Street
Westfield NJ 07090

What are the educational requirements for secretarial, paraprofessional or custodial positions?

Presently, all that is required is a high school diploma.

Do I need certification to be a paraprofessional?

No, currently only a High School diploma is required.